SAGES ANNUAL SCIENCE MEETING 2023
16 & 17 May 2023 - University of Aberdeen, King's College Conference Centre
As in previous years, the conference is going from strength to strength with a wide range of presentations, topics, keynote speakers, publication and poster competitions.
Delegates will be able to present their research, find out about SAGES funding and the benefits of being a SAGES member, enter our competitions for ‘Best published paper’ and ‘Best poster’. It’s also a great opportunity to network with other early career researchers and academics from all disciplines in our five science themes.
Our Research Themes and Forums will showcase the breadth of SAGES research. Each day will lead with an invited ‘Keynote’ cross-sectoral, interdisciplinary presentation.
Professor Pete Smith - University of Aberdeen
Keynote speaker - Tuesday 16 May 2023
Professor Maggie Gill - Scottish Science Advisory Council
Keynote speaker - Wednesday 17 May 2023
Session 1 – Theme 1 & Theme 4: ‘Land, Landscapes and Societal Interactions’
Session 2 – Theme 3 & CESD, FIORD & VaLIDATE Forums: ‘Earth Systems: Ice, Land, Ocean, Atmosphere’
Session 3 – Theme 2 & Source 2 Sink Forum: ‘Carbon’
On behalf of Theme 2: Carbon and Biogeochemical Cycles: Sustaining Life and the Source to Sea Forum, we would like to invite you to submit your abstract to the ‘Carbon’ session at the 2023 SAGES Annual Science Meeting.
Our ‘Carbon’ session seeks to discuss:
1. The role of carbon and biogeochemical cycles in achieving net-zero targets.
2. Connecting green and blue carbon across the land-ocean interface.
3. The role of digital technology in shaping future of carbon and biogeochemical research.
We therefore seek abstracts from the theme and forum members to be presented at the SAGES 2023 Annual Science Meeting.
Session 4 – Integrated Water Cycle Management and Health & Wellbeing Forums
Tuesday 16th May 2023 - Day 1 schedule
09:00 – 09:10 Welcome
09:10 – 09:40 Keynote Professor Pete Smith, University of Aberdeen
09:40 – 11:40 Session 1 (including coffee break) Themes 1 & 4 ‘Land, Landscapes and Societal Interactions’
11:40 – 12:30 SAGES Phase 3: Opportunities for members & ‘Meet the new SAGES Director’
12:30 – 14:00 Lunch, posters & networking
14:00 – 16:00 Session 2 (including coffee break) Theme 3 & CESD, FIORD & VaLIDATE Forums ‘Earth Systems: Ice, Land, Ocean, Atmosphere’
16:00 – 16:15 Poster pop-ups (30 second stand up – no slides!)
16:15 – 18:00 Drinks reception incorporating poster session and networking (breakout rooms available)
19:00 Conference dinner (venue to be confirmed)
Wednesday 17th May 2023 - Day 2 schedule
09:00 – 09:20 Keynote Professor Maggie Gill, Chair Scottish Science Advisory Council
09:20 – 10:00 SAGES Policy Internship Showcase, Chaired by Professor Maggie Gill
10:00 – 12:00 Session 3 (including coffee break) Theme 2 & Carbon 2 Sink Forum ‘Carbon’
12:00 – 13:00 SAGES SALTIRE Emerging Researchers Showcase
13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
14:00 – 16:00 Session 4 (including coffee break) Integrated Water Cycle Management & Health and Wellbeing Forum
16:00 – 16:20 Prize presentation & conference closing speech
16:20 – 17:30 Breakout rooms available
Registration opens Thursday 23 February 2023
Registration deadline 30 April 2023
Register at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/559560830507
Members are invited to submit an abstract, oral or poster on the one page pptx ASM_Submission_Template
Abstract submissions open: 23 February 2023
Abstract submission deadline: 30 March 2023
Oral presentations will be grouped into four sessions.
- Session 1: Themes 1 & 4 ‘Land, Landscapes and Societal Interactions’
- Session 2:Themes 3 & CESD and FIORD & VaLIDATE Forums ‘Earth Systems: Ice, Land, Ocean, Atmosphere’
- Session 3:Theme 2 & Sink 2 Source Forum ‘Carbon’
- Session 4: Integrated Water Cycle Management + Health and Wellbeing Forums
Poster presentations will be ungrouped
Please complete the following electronic form to submit your abstract;
SAGES Annual Science Meeting 2023 submission uploadPlease complete this form and upload your one page pptx abstract.
Best Publication competition
The annual SAGES Best Publication competition awards prizes of £100 for the best published paper first-authored by a SAGES Graduate School or post-graduate researcher member to appear in a peer-reviewed journal (or with a DOI) in 2022-2023.
There will be one prize for each SAGES Theme.
Entries will be judged by John Howe, and the SAGES Research and Innovation Committee (RiCom).
The awards will be announced at the 2023 Annual Science meeting
To enter nominations (including a pdf of the paper and its related SAGES Theme) should be sent to [email protected]
Entry deadline: Friday 28 April 2023
- Registration is free and open to SAGES & SEFARI members
- Abstract deadline: 30 March 2023
- Best Published paper entry deadline: 28 April 2023
- Registration deadline: 30 April 2023
- Travel and accommodation claims for SAGES PG’s and ECR’s will be supported to a value of £220 (receipts must be provided)
- Travel and accommodation to be booked by delegate at reasonable rates
- Please consider any restrictions (potential strike action) and book refundable travel and accommodation, where possible
- Any relevant COVID restrictions imposed at the time of the event will be followed by all attendee’s
- If you are no longer able to attend the event please notify