– Interaction between offshore infrastructure and the seabed (mainly focusing on Renewable Energy infrastructure, incl. subsea cables).
– Marine Geohazards and impacts on the built environment (offshore and coastal).
– Relationship between benthic communities and subvertical rockwalls in submarine canyons (focusing on the Whittard Canyon).
– Environmental Scientist, IKM Consulting Ltd, 2008-2010
– Hydrodynamic Modeller, Intertek Energy & Water Consultancy, 2011-2013
– Marine Geoscientist, British Geological Survey, 2013-present
Active research projects:
– "Offshore Cable Burial: How deep is deep enough?", EPSRC Grant Reference EP/W000954/1:
– BGS PI and overall Co-I on this 1.4M research grant investigating the current methodologies for assessing subsea cable burial depths in relation to anchor impact risks.
– A summary section for the above grant can be provided through the lead PI (Prof William Coombs, Durham University) "Details of Grant" page:
– "Submarine landslide tsunamis, mechanisms of granular flows at multiple scales; a new UK/China multidisciplinary research collaboration", UKRI Grant Reference NE/W004593/1):
– BGS Co-I on this multinational project, building collaborations with Chinese research institutes.
Phillips, E., Johnson, K., Ellen, R., Plenderleith, G., Dove, D., Carter, G., … & Cotterill, C. (2022). Glacitectonic evidence of ice sheet interaction and retreat across the western part of Dogger Bank (North Sea) during the Last Glaciation. Proceedings of the Geologists’ Association, 133(1), 87-111.
Gawthorpe, R. L., Fabregas, N., Pechlivanidou, S., Ford, M., Collier, R. E. L., Carter, G. D. O., … & Shillington, D. J. (2022). Late Quaternary mud‐dominated, basin‐floor sedimentation of the Gulf of Corinth, Greece: Implications for deep‐water depositional processes and controls on syn‐rift sedimentation. Basin Research.
Phillips, E., Carter, G., & Teasdale, D. (2022). Microscale evidence of the role of water during the emplacement of mass flows in glacial environments. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, 55(1).
De Gelder, G., Doan, M. L., Beck, C., Carlut, J., Seibert, C., Feuillet, N., Carter, G. D., Pechlivanidou, S., & Gawthorpe, R. L. (2022). Multi‐scale and multi‐parametric analysis of Late Quaternary event deposits within the active Corinth Rift (Greece). Sedimentology, 69(4), 1573-1598.
Stewart, H. A., Bradwell, T., Carter, G., Dove, D., & Gafeira, J. (2021). Geomorphology of the Continental Shelf. In: Landscapes and Landforms of Scotland (pp. 117-134). Springer, Cham.