1. Development of analytical methods for monitoring emerging pollutants in different environmental matrices
2. Risk assessment of pharmaceutical contaminants and identification of priority substances that potentially pose high impact to the environment
3. Explore low cost water remediation treatment techniques
4. Evaluate the biosorption behaviour of pharmaceuticals (e.g assessing kinetics, isotherm modelling, impact factors and mechanisms involved)
5. Economic feasibility assessment of the treatment approach including column design, pilot trial in collaboration with Scottish Water and the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
I’ve just accomplished my PhD Project supported by the Scottish Government "Can Low Cost Biosorbent Technology be used to Efficiently Remove Steroid Hormones and Pharmaceutical Residues from Wastewater Effluents?". My main working areas are :
1) Assess the environmental impact of pharmaceutical contaminants and identify priority substances of high potential risk
2) Develop determination methods for pharmaceuticals with diverse physico-chemical properties, apply to real environmental sample analysis
3) Explore low cost biosorbent materials and assess their performance for pharmaceutical remediation
4) Evaluate the biosorption behavior of pharmaceuticals, considering mass transfer principles, kinetics, isotherms and the mechanisms involved
Since then, I started my career as an analytical chemist at the Environmental Research Institute, University of the Highlands and Islands.
Active research projects:
Accomplished the Hydro Nation Project supported by the Scottish Government-Can Low Cost Biosorbent Technology be used to Efficiently Remove Steroid Hormones and Pharmaceutical Residues from Wastewater Effluents?
Involved in Preliminary study to understand water quality and the wastewater treatment cycle in relation to Caithness general hospital
Aiming to search for more research projects in the future
1. Yuan Li, Mark A. Taggart, Craig McKenzie, Zulin Zhang, Yonglong Lu, Sabolc Pap, Stuart Gibb. Utilizing low-cost natural waste for the removal of pharmaceuticals from water: Mechanisms, isotherms and kinetics at low concentrations, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2019, 227, 88-97
2. Yuan Li, Mark A. Taggart, Craig McKenzie, Zulin Zhang, Yonglong Lu, Sabolc Pap, Stuart Gibb. Development of a SPE-HPLC-MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of priority pharmaceuticals and endocrine disrupting compounds (EDCs) with high environmental potential risk in waters (in preparation )
3. Li Yuan, Wei Dongbin, DU Yuguo. Oxidative Transformation of Levofloxacin by Manganese Oxide: Products, Pathways and Toxicity Assessment. Chemosphere, 2015, 119, 282-288
4. Li Yuan, Wei Dongbin, DU Yuguo. A Review on transformation mechanisms of typical organic pollutants by Manganese oxide [J]. Environmental Chemistry, 2013, 32 (7): pp 1288-1299.(in Chinese)
5. Li Yuan, Wei Dongbin, DU Yuguo. Transformation of levofloxacin in potassium permanganate oxidation system. Environmental Chemistry, 2014, 33 (12):pp 2019-2026.(in Chinese)