Biogeochemical cycling of C and N, GHG emission and mitigation,Life cycle analysis and GHG assessment tool, Ecosystem modelling, Impact of El Niño on soil, crop, livestock and livelihood
2007-Present: Research Fellow, School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen
2006: Extended Senior Research Fellow, Central Rice Research Institute (now Known as National Rice Research Institute), Cuttack, Odisha, India
2005: PhD, Utkal University, Odisha, India
Active research projects:
2015-2016: Science-based emissions targets for agriculture and forestry commodities with Prof. Pete Smith
2016-2017: Building Resilience in Ethiopia’s Awassa region to Drought (BREAD) with Prof. Jo Smith and Prof. Euan Phimister
2017- 2018: Newton-Bhabha Virtual Centre on Nitrogen Efficiency of Whole-cropping Systems for improved performance and resilience
in agriculture (NEWS India-UK) with Prof. Jo Smith and Prof. Mark Sutton
2018-2019: Institution hopping placement to investigate models associated with land allocation and valuation. with Prof. Pete Smith
2018: Marte Nikolaisen: PhD fund on "A global model for rice-based GHG emissions."
1. Ji, C., Cheng, K., Nayak, DR., Pan, G. (2018). Environmental and economic assessment of crop residue competitive utilization for biochar, briquette fuel and combined heat and power generation. Journal of Cleaner Production. 192. 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.05.026.
2. Feliciano, DMS., Ledo, A., Hillier, JG. & Nayak, DR. (2018). ‘Which agroforestry options give the greatest soil and above ground carbon benefits in different world regions?’. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol. 254, pp. 117-129.
3. Feliciano, D., Nayak, DR., Vetter, SH. & Hillier, J. (2017). ‘CCAFS-MOT – A tool for farmers, extension services and policy-advisors to identify mitigation options for agriculture’.Agricultural Systems, vol. 154, pp. 100-111.
4. Cheng, K., Yan, M., Nayak, D., Pan, GX., Smith, P., Zheng, JF. & Zheng, JW. (2015). ‘Carbon footprint of crop production in China: an analysis of National Statistics data’. Journal of Agricultural Science, vol 153, no. 3, pp. 422-431.
[Online] DOI: 10.1017/S0021859614000665
5. Nayak, D., Saetnan, E., Cheng, K., Wang, W., Koslowski, F., Cheng, Y-F, Zhu, WY., Wang, J-K, Liu, J-X, Moran, D., Yan, X., Cardenas, L., Newbold, J., Pan, G., Lui, Y. & Smith, P. (2015). ‘Management opportunities to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions from Chinese agriculture’. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, vol 209, pp. 108-124.